Monday, 26 January 2015

E-cigarette attributed for illness of Allenton boy, 11

E-cigarettes are becoming more popular among adults wanting to kick tobacco – but some children are trying them out recreationally.

A MUM has issued a health warning after her 11-year-old son became ill from using an e-cigarette.

Reece Warner suffered from a persistent cough and inflamed tonsils for weeks after using the device in December.

Mum Sian said she was shocked when she found it in his bedroom.

Sian, of Rowland Street, Allenton, said: "I waited for him to get home from school and asked him about it.
E-cigarette attributed for illness of Allenton boy, 11
"He told me he'd been 'smoking' it and it worried me. I took it straight off him and told trading standards about it. I had no idea he was smoking. He was taking it out with him when he was with his friends.

"I grounded him for a month afterwards. I have no idea what was in it and I don't think he does either.

"One day, he came home from school and was ill for the rest of the day. He looked very pale and I think it came from the e-cigarette.

"He's lucky he did not die – it's very scary to think what could have happened."

E-cigarettes are mainly used to help adult smokers quit tobacco, although their long-term health effects are not yet known.

Derby City Council has issued a warning about the dangers e-cigarettes pose.

Over 70% of the complaints made about e-cigarettes to trading standards in the East Midlands have been about safety issues.

Problems can occur if instructions on how to charge them are not followed properly.

Leaving them unattended when on charge can also be dangerous.

Miss Warner said: "When I felt the product, it was very hot and it could have been a big danger. It's very worrying and concerning that somebody who is only 11 can get hold of these.

"It's not right – he's only young. At that age I expect him to be buying sweets and chocolate, not potentially dangerous products.

"He is only a child. What would have happened if it had been left on charge for a long time?

"I've seen programmes on the television about their dangers. I'm just really pleased I found it.

"I really want to warn other people to think before buying these things. I was very upset when it happened because I was a smoker and I've said to him, 'Do not try it'."

Martin Rawson, cabinet member responsible for trading standards, said: "E-cigarettes may be popular but please don't put your safety at risk.

"There have been reports of fires, injuries and even deaths related to e-cigarettes exploding. We want consumers and retailers to be vigilant to prevent accidents occurring.

"It is important to make sure consumers have access to clear safety advice to minimise the risks from over-charging." By Derby Telegraph
Copyright © Real Info Zone. All rights reserved. Distributed by Real Info Zone Global Media (www.realinfozones.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

Real Info Zone publishes around multiple reports a day from more than 40 news organizations and over 100 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which Real Info Zone does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify Real Info Zone as the publisher are produced or commissioned by Real Info Zone. To address comments or complaints, Please Contact Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *