Tuesday, 1 November 2016

‘Shocked’ Buhari orders probe into ‘sexual abuses’

Cape Town — Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an investigation into allegations that women and girls who are victims of Boko Haram were sexually abused by government officials tasked with helping them.


The alleged abuses were made public in a report released by human rights watchdog, Human Rights Watch (HRW) yesterday.

According to the BBC, Buhari’s office condemned the alleged abuses, adding that his office was “shocked” by the report.

The HRW said it had in July documented 43 cases of women and girls in seven internally displaced persons’ (IDP) camps in Maiduguri, the epicentre of the seven-year Islamist insurgency, who had been abused by camp leaders, vigilante groups, policemen, and soldiers.
‘Shocked’ Buhari orders probe into ‘sexual abuses’
“It is bad enough that these women and girls are not getting much-needed support for the horrific trauma they suffered at the hands of Boko Haram,” said Mausi Segun, senior Nigeria researcher at HRW.

“It is disgraceful and outrageous that people who should protect these women and girls are attacking and abusing them,” he added.

Four of the victims told HRW they were drugged and raped, while 37 were coerced into sex through false marriage promises and material and financial assistance.

Buhari’s office said it had since instructed the police chief and state governors to immediately launch an investigation.

Boko Haram has devastated northeast Nigeria in its quest to create an Islamist state, killing over 20 000 people and displacing 2.6 million from their homes.

Since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009, the jihadists have disrupted trade routes and farms.

The HRW said in statement: “Many of those coerced into sex said they were abandoned if they became pregnant. They and their children have suffered discrimination, abuse, and stigmatisation from other camp residents,” the global rights body said.

HRW spoke to one 17-year-old girl who was raped and made pregnant by a policeman.

“One day he demanded to have sex with me,” she said. “I refused but he forced me. It happened just that one time, but soon I realised I was pregnant.

“When I informed him about my condition, he threatened to shoot and kill me if I told anyone else. So I was too afraid to report him.”

HRW said irregular supplies of food, clothing, medicine, and other essentials in camps were making the women vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. “In some cases, men used their positions of authority and gifts of desperately needed food or other items to have sex with women,” it said.

Boko Haram has devastated northeast Nigeria in its quest to create an Islamist state, killing over 20 000 people and displacing 2.6 million from their homes.

Since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009, the jihadists have disrupted trade routes and farms.

Now nearly 50 000 children are facing death by starvation if they don’t get food and almost 250 000 more are severely malnourished in Borno state, according to Unicef. – AFP
Copyright © Real Info Zone. All rights reserved. Distributed by Real Info Zone Global Media (www.realinfozones.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

Real Info Zone publishes around multiple reports a day from more than 40 news organizations and over 100 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which Real Info Zone does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify Real Info Zone as the publisher are produced or commissioned by Real Info Zone. To address comments or complaints, Please Contact Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *